Taxes not filed for 2016

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Liz Dennis 7 months, 4 weeks ago
  • Liz Dennis
    Participant
    @liz_dennis

I have a dilemma. I was unable to file my taxes last year due to complications. My tax preparer, a very close friend, passed away and I did not find out until it was too late that my taxes for 2016 were not filed. At this point I am unsure how to file those taxes and what my next step needs to be. I never filed for an extension since handling my taxes was something I left to her and never worried about. I’m having difficulty with finding answers on how to proceed. Does anyone have a suggestions on what I can do that would not involve any additional financial stress?

If You Found The Information Here Was Useful Please Consider Sharing This Page!

tara berks
    @t_berks

I am very sorry to hear this. I would recommend you to try to go online to a major tax preparation company like Turbo Tax or H&R Block or many others and proceed with filing your taxes. If you owe taxes and do not file a tax return or extension on time. You will incur different penalties (and owe the IRS interest) if you filed your return or extension on time, but do not pay the taxes you owe by the tax deadline.

Penalties generally don’t apply if you are expecting a refund and do not file a tax return on time. You can e-file a tax return for the last three years online. If you need to submit a return for years prior to three years back you will need to use the paper filing method.

Liz Dennis
    Participant
    @liz_dennis

Thank You for that information. I will gather as much as I can and file on-line myself then.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.