I received my refund, but I made a mistake on my return so it’s more than I should have received. I haven’t cashed the check. What should I do now?
- File an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, as soon as possible.
- Include any forms and/or schedules that you’re changing and/or didn’t include the original return.
- Return the refund check with your amended return along with a letter of explanation. When your amended return has completed processing, the IRS will issue a new refund check.
- Write “Void” in the endorsement section of the check when you return it with your amended return.
- Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return.
Please login or Register to submit your answer