Home Forums IRS Tax Topics Tax Topic 159

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by Refundtalk 5 years, 1 month ago
  • tara berks

    Do you have IRS Tax Topic 159?

    Share your experience with filing your tax return and seeing “IRS Tax Topic 159”

    If you check where’s my refund? and see this status share what you found out here!

    If You Found The Information Here Was Useful Please Consider Sharing This Page!




    Topic 159 – How to Get a Transcript or Copy of Form W-2

    You can use our Get Transcript tool to request your wage and income transcript. It shows the data reported to us on information returns such as Form W-2s, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, and Form 5498 series; however, state or local information isn’t included with the Form W-2 information. These transcripts are available for the past ten tax years but information for the current tax year may not be complete until July. See Get Transcript FAQs and Can I get a transcript or copy of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from the IRS? for more information. You can also use Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to request a wage and income transcript.

    We only retain actual copies of Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, when attached to your paper tax return. The only way to get an actual copy of your Form W-2 from us is to order a copy of the entire return by using Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and paying a $50 fee for each return requested. We will waive the $50 fee for taxpayers impacted by a federally declared disaster. Write the name of the disaster (for example, Midwestern Disaster Area) in red at the top of the Form 4506. For more information, see Federally Declared Disaster Area in Publication 2194 (PDF), Disaster Resource Guide for Individuals and Businesses.

    The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides to the Number Holder (NH) or legal representative(s) at no charge, a microprint copy of Form W-2. You can use this to help resolve an SSA program-related matter, such as an earnings discrepancy in connection with the processing of a Title II and/or Title XVI claim or an SSA or NH initiated earnings investigation. Visit SSA.gov or call 800-772-1213 for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.

    If You Found The Information Here Was Useful Please Consider Sharing This Page!



Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Posts