Home Forums IRS Tax Topics Tax Topic 423

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by Refundtalk 5 years, 9 months ago
  • tara berks
    #6445 Reply

    Tax Topic 423

    If You Found The Information Here Was Useful Please Consider Sharing This Page!



    #6598 Reply

    Topic 423 – Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
    If the only income you received during the tax year was your social security or equivalent railroad retirement benefits, your benefits may not be taxable and you may not have to file a tax return.

    Nontaxable Benefits
    If you also received other income, your benefits won’t be taxable unless your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is more than the base amount for your filing status. If you have income in addition to your benefits, you may have to file a return even if none of your benefits are taxable.

    How Do I Know if My Benefits Are Taxable?
    Review Are My Social Security or Railroad Retirement Tier I Benefits Taxable? to figure if your benefits are taxable, or complete a worksheet in the Form 1040 Instructions or Form 1040A Instructions to figure your taxable benefits and MAGI.

    Lump-Sum Payments
    If you received benefits in the current tax year that were for a prior year, see Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits, for rules on a special lump-sum election that you can make. This election may reduce the amount of your taxable benefits.

    Determining Who Is Taxed
    The person with the legal right to receive taxable benefits, if any, must include them in gross income. For example, if you and your child received benefits, you must use only your own portion of the benefits in figuring if any part is taxable to you, even if the check for your child was made out in your name. In calculating your child’s taxable benefits, half of the portion that belongs to your child must be added to your child’s other income to determine if any of those benefits are taxable to your child.

    Married Filing Jointly – If you’re married and file a joint return, you and your spouse must combine your incomes, social security benefits, and equivalent railroad retirement benefits when figuring the taxable portion of your benefits. On a joint return, you must add your spouse’s income to yours when figuring if any of your benefits are taxable, even if your spouse didn’t receive any benefits.

    How Benefits Are Reported to You
    You should receive your Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, or Form RRB-1099, Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board, by early February for the benefits paid in the prior calendar year. The form will show benefits paid to the person who has the legal right to receive them, and the amount of any benefits repaid. It will also show amounts by which the benefits were reduced because you received workers’ compensation benefits. Substitute workers’ compensation benefits are taxable to the same extent. For additional information, refer to Publication 915. If you don’t receive your Form 1099-SSA, go to my Social Security to view, print, save, or receive by mail a replacement Form SSA-1099 for the prior tax year.

    Reporting Taxable Benefits
    To report taxable benefits, you must use Form 1040 (PDF) or Form 1040A (PDF), U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can’t use Form 1040EZ (PDF), Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents.

    Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax
    If any part of your social security or equivalent railroad retirement benefits will be taxable in the current tax year, you may request to have additional withholding from other income or pay estimated tax during the year. Refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, and Do You Have to Pay Estimated Tax? for additional information on estimated tax. You may also choose to have income tax withheld from your social security or equivalent railroad retirement benefits. For more information, refer to Form W-4V (PDF), Voluntary Withholding Request.

    If You Found The Information Here Was Useful Please Consider Sharing This Page!



Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Tax Topic 423
Your information:

Related Posts