IRS Account Transcripts Transaction Codes
Transaction Codes (TC) can be found on your account transcript and consist of three digits. They are used to identify a transaction being processed and to maintain a history of actions posted to a taxpayer’s account on the Master File. Every transaction processed must contain a Transaction Code to maintain Accounting Controls of debits and credits, to cause the computer at Enterprise Computing Center to post the transaction on the Master File, to permit compilation of reports, and to identify the transaction when a transcript is extracted from the Master File.
Here is a list of the common Transaction Codes found on your Account Transcript.
Tax Transcript Codes
- Code 150 tax return filed
- Code 570 more information needed
- Code 766 Reversal of refund applied to non-IRS debt Generated Refundable Credit Allowance or IRS TOP Offset Reversal w/OTN
- Code 766 Tax rebate Generated Refundable Credit Allowance or IRS TOP Offset Reversal w/OTN
- Code 766 Tax relief credit Generated Refundable Credit Allowance or IRS TOP Offset Reversal w/OTN
- Code 767 Reduced or removed credit to your account Generated Reversal of Refundable Credit Allowance or Rejected TOP Offset Reversal w/OTN A generated error correction which reverses a TC
- Code 766 credit allowance posted in error. Results from the appropriate line item adjustment of an Examination or DP Tax Adjustment with item reference 334 (199312-199411 only) for an installment of 1993 additional taxes.
- Code 767 Reduced or removed tax relief credit
- Code 767 w/OTN Reverses a prior posted TC 766, TOP offset reversal when input with the same offset trace number (OTN). Caution: This transaction must not be input except to correct a TC 766 on the FMS Reject Listing.
- Code 768 Earned income credit Posts Earned Income Credit which is generated from information received from Code and Edit.
- Code 810 Refund Freeze
- Code 811 Refund Release
- Code 820 Refund used to offset prior IRS Debt
- Code 836 Refund you chose to apply to next year’s taxes.
- Code 840 Manual Refund
- Code 846 Refund approved
- Code 898 Refund used to offset FMS Debt